In addition to when you first join Medicare, you can also enroll during:
Annual election period (Oct. 15 to Dec. 7 each year)
During this enrollment period:
- You can join, switch or leave any Medicare Advantage plan.
- You may return to Original Medicare and buy a Medicare Part D stand-alone plan (PDF, 190KB).
- Your changes take effect Jan. 1.
Medicare Advantage disenrollment period (Jan. 1 to Feb. 14 each year)
- If you don’t like the Medicare Advantage plan you enrolled in, you can go back to Original Medicare and choose a Medicare Part D stand-alone plan (PDF, 190KB). Your Original Medicare coverage will begin the first of the following month.
Note: You can't join or switch a Medicare Advantage plan.
- The effective date of your disenrollment request will occur the first of the following month.
Special enrollment period
Some people, such as those with Medicaid (www.dshs.wa.gov) or Extra Help (www.ssa.gov), a change in where they live, or whose plan is leaving Medicare, may switch plans before the annual election period.