For Producers

If you have a criminal offense

If you have a misdemeanor, felony or other criminal offense on your record

Qualifying for a license will be determined on a case-by-case basis. If you have concerns regarding your record and obtaining a license, please send the following to us via our secure e-form:

  • A written statement explaining the circumstances of the incident(s)
  • A copy of the charging document(s)
  • A copy of the official document which demonstrates the resolution of the charge(s) or any final judgment

We cannot unequivocally determine if we would definitely issue a license until an application is officially submitted, but we can give you an opinion as to whether you would be eligible for a license or not. This review process generally takes 30 days and we'll email our evaluation to you.

Felony convictions involving dishonesty or breach of trust

It is a criminal offense for an individual who has been convicted of a felony involving dishonesty or breach of trust to willfully engage or participate (in any capacity) in the business of insurance without first obtaining a “Letter of Written Consent to Engage in the Business of Insurance” from the regulating insurance department of the individual’s state of residence.

See Federal law 18 U.S.C. § 1033 (

Washington state residents should send their applications for the Letter of Written Consent to the Office of the Insurance Commissioner.

Individuals applying for a non-resident license in Washington state, whose criminal history necessitates a Letter of Written Consent, should provide a copy of the letter issued by their resident state insurance department along with their license application.

Licensed business entities and insurers:

  • It is a criminal offense to employ anyone (in any capacity) who requires – but does not provide – a Letter of Written Consent.
  • You must make a diligent effort to identify those employees or prospective employees who require a Letter of Written Consent.

For additional information, or to obtain an application for the Letter of Written Consent, please call or send us a message at the contact information below.

You don't have to report:

  • Misdemeanor traffic citations
  • Misdemeanor convictions involving driving under the influence (DUI) or driving while intoxicated (DWI)
  • Driving without a license
  • Reckless driving
  • Driving with a suspended or revoked license
  • Misdemeanor offenses that were adjudicated in a juvenile court