For Consumers

Gig workers and delivery drivers

Learn what insurance coverage options are available if you participate in gig work or sharing economy activities, such as ridesharing, peer-to-peer home or car rentals, pet-sitting and more

What is the sharing economy?

More people are using the things they own, such as cars or homes, to make money. According to Forbes, about 36% of U.S. workers participate in some form of economic sharing or gig work.

Common examples of sharing economy activities include:

  • Working as a driver for Uber or Lyft
  • Renting your home on Airbnb or VRBO
  • Providing local pet-sitting services through DogVacay or Rover
  • Delivering food for Grubhub or Uber Eats

Check your policies before participating in the sharing economy

Most personal auto and homeowner insurance policies sold in Washington state don’t cover losses that occur during shared economy activities such as gig work. Many policies have specific language that states they won’t cover those losses.

Before you join a sharing economy business model, talk to your agent or broker to make sure your auto and homeowner insurance policies provide the protection you need. You may need to buy a separate business policy to cover your property and liability while operating as an entrepreneur.