If you're already receiving Social Security retirement benefits before you turn age 65, Social Security will automatically enroll you in Medicare. Also, if you're already receiving Social Security Disability benefits, Social Security will automatically enroll you in Medicare after 24 months. If you're not sure if you need to enroll yourself, contact Social Security to find out.
- Apply online at Social Security (www.ssa.gov).
- Visit your local Social Security (www.ssa.gov) office.
- Call Social Security at 800-772-1213. TTY users should call 800-325-0778.
- If you worked for a railroad, call the Railroad Retirement Board (RRB) at 877-772-5772.
- Complete an Application for Enrollment in Part B (CMS-40B) (www.cms.gov). Remember, you must already have Part A to apply for Part B.
Important: If you're within four months of turning age 65, contact your local Social Security office or SHIBA at 800-562-6900 for more information.