Losing your employer’s health plan is stressful, but depending on your situation, you have options.
- Anyone who loses their employer’s health plan coverage qualifies for a 60-day special enrollment to buy their own health plan.
- Continue your employer's plan through COBRA.
- If your employer had fewer than 50 employees, you can continue your small group health plan.
- Buy an individual health plan directly from Washington Healthplanfinder (www.wahealthplanfinder.org) - An online marketplace, also called the "Exchange," where you can compare health plans, and depending on your income, get help paying your premium (www.wahealthplanfinder.org).
- Buy a plan directly from a health insurance company – Some insurers only sell plans outside of the Exchange, but these plans do not include any financial help.