March 6, 2023
OLYMPIA, Wash. — Insurance Commissioner Mike Kreidler issued fines in February totaling $25,500 against insurance companies, producers, brokers and individuals who violated state insurance laws and regulations.
Unlicensed brokers and unauthorized insurers
Empire West Insurance Services, Inc.; fined $10,000 (order 23-0030).
- Empire West obtained surplus lines insurance for consumers in Washington without being licensed to do so.
Esurance Insurance Company, Northbrook, Ill.; fined $5,000 (order 23-0016).
- Esurance, part of the Allstate Insurance Group, was fined for not listing its full name and the location of its home or principal office on Allstate’s “Underwriting Companies” webpage.
Euler Hermes North America Insurance Company, Owings Mills, Md.; fined $4,000 (order 22-0718).
- Euler Hermes issued two surety bonds when it did not hold a certificate of authority for that kind of insurance. The Company also failed to keep full and adequate accounts and records.
Producers, agents & brokers
- Kelly Stutts, Mobile, Ala.; fined $250 (order 23-0027).
- Bryan Insurance Agency, Ltd. Graham, Texas; fined $250 (order 23-0039).
- Cascade West Title Company, Bellevue, Wash.; fined $1,000 (order 22-0727).
- Golden State Claims Adjusters, Carlsbad, Calif.; fined $5,000 (order 23-0029).
About the Office
Kreidler’s office oversees Washington’s insurance industry to ensure that individuals, companies, agents and brokers follow state laws. Since 2001, Kreidler has assessed more than $38 million in fines, which are directed to the state’s general fund to pay for state services.
For an insurance question or complaint, you may contact Kreidler’s consumer advocates online or by phone at 800-562-6900.