Before you can transact long-term care insurance or long-term care partnership policies in Washington state, you must:
- Hold a producer license with the disability line of authority,
- Complete an approved initial 8-hour LTC course, and
- Maintain your LTC education by completing a 4-hour refresher course every 24 months.
How do I sign up for my LTC course?
Take a look at the table below to contact providers who offer these courses (approved courses are titled “WA LTC Initial eight-hour course” and "WA LTC Refresher four-hour course").
What do I do once I’ve finished my LTC course?
You are not required to submit proof of your current LTC education to our office. However, the insurers for whom you transact LTC business cannot accept your business if you do not have a current certificate of completion.
Can I use the credits from this course for my license renewal?
Yes. Washington state resident licensees may also apply their LTC credits toward their continuing education (CE) credit requirement for license renewal.
- The WA LTC Initial eight-hour course is approved for eight CE credits.
- The WA LTC Refresher four-hour course is approved for four CE credits.
- What are my CE requirements?
The WA LTC Refresher four-hour course must be repeated every 24 months if you wish to sell LTC insurance and you will receive CE credit every 24 months for completing it.
If Washington is not my home state, do I have to take an LTC course?
Yes. A non-resident producer may take the Washington course or we may recognize their home state’s LTC education training. If you have a question regarding what will qualify, email our education analyst.
If I've already completed my initial eight-hour or four-hour refresher course, do I have to complete an additional course to sell LTC partnership policies?
- If you've already completed the initial eight-hour course, you do not have to re-take it.
- If you've already completed the four-hour refresher course, you do not need to re-take the refresher training until your next refresher course due date. (This is required to be completed within 24 months of the initial training and each 24-month period thereafter).
Is information about LTC partnerships included in the required LTC education courses?
As of January 1, 2012, all approved LTC education providers have updated their eight-hour initial and/or four-hour refresher courses to include the information on partnership policies.
Long-term care (LTC) education providers
The table below contains a list of approved long-term care education providers. This list is current as of December 2016.
National LTC Educators
RegEd Inc. (www.reged.com)