For Producers

When you don't need a license

Confused about which activities require you to have an active insurance license? Here's some general guidance for when a license isn't required.

You're an officer, director, or employee of an insurer or insurance producer

You may perform clerical/administrative duties without a license such as:

  • gathering information so a licensed individual can complete an insurance transaction, 
  • conducting reception activities 
  • taking claims information (but not interpreting or commenting on coverage). 

You are not required to have a license if:

  • You don't receive commission on policies written or sold.
  • Your activities are executive, administrative, managerial, clerical or a combination of these.
  • You are only indirectly related to the sale, solicitation or negotiation of insurance.

See RCW 48.17.062(2)(a)(i) (

You secure and forward information for issuing group (life, disability, property, casualty) insurance and are not paid commissions for the service

See RCW 48.17.062(2)(b) (

You do not intend to solicit insurance in Washington state and you:

  • Don't sell, solicit, or negotiate insurance.
  • Limit your activities to advertising in print or electronic publications or mass media whose distribution is not limited to residents of Washington state.

See RCW 48.17.062(2)(e) (

You secure and forward information for the purpose of group credit life insurance, where the reimbursement for actual expenses does not exceed $3 per certificate issued

See RCW 48.17.062(2)(h) (