A surplus line broker sells insurance products for insurance carriers that are not admitted in Washington state. See RCW 48.15.070 (leg.wa.gov).
You can also review the fees for your license category.
To obtain a surplus line license:
- Hold an active producer license with the property and casualty lines of authority.
- Schedule and pass your exam (www.psiexams.com).
- Apply for your license online.
Have your exam score report ready; you'll need to attach it electronically or mail it in.
Surplus line policy data must be submitted to the Surplus Line Association of Washington on a monthly basis:
- Become a member of the Surplus Line Association of Washington (www.surpluslines.org).
- Submit surplus line policy data to the Surplus Line Association of Washington (www.surpluslines.org).
Resources to help you prepare for your exam
Start by reviewing the exam content outline (Word, 15KB). This should help you determine where to focus your studies.
Law and rules
You'll want to be familiar with the following regulations:
- RCW 48.15 (leg.wa.gov) - Unauthorized Insurers.
- RCW 48.18.170 (leg.wa.gov) - "Premium" defined.
- RCW 48.18.230 (leg.wa.gov) - Binders-Duration-Premium.
- RCW 48.14.020(3) (leg.wa.gov) - Premium taxes.
- RCW 48.14.060 (leg.wa.gov) - Failure to pay tax-Penalty.
- RCW 48.05.030 (leg.wa.gov) - Certificate of authority required.
- RCW 48.17.597 (leg.wa.gov) - Administrative action taken against a licensee in another jurisdiction or governmental agency-Report to commissioner.
- WAC 284-15 (leg.wa.gov) - Surplus line insurance.
- WAC 284-30-590 (leg.wa.gov) - Unfair practices with respect to policy cancellations, renewals and changes.
Insurance company annual statements
It's a good idea to make sure you're familiar with the information on an insurance company annual statement (Word, 1.25MB), especially the sections pertaining to financial security.
There are 25 items on the surplus line broker exam addressing financial security topics. Topics include:
- Annual statements (purpose of insurance company annual statements, including Sections and Assets).
- Liabilities surplus and other funds.
- Underwriting and investment exhibit.
- Schedule D.
- Jurat page.
- General interrogatories.
- Summary investment schedule.
- Schedule T.
- Schedule F.
- Five-year historical data.
- Schedule Y.
- Schedule P.
Insurance Regulatory Information Systems (IRIS)
IRIS ratios are a topic featured in the exam. There are 13 ratios. Review pages 13-34 in the NAIC IRIS manual (PDF, 1.5MB) (www.naic.org) to get more familiar with them.
Lloyd's of London
Topics related to this company include:
- Surplus lines markets.
- London market - Lloyd's brokers, United States trust fund, underwriters and syndicates.
Learn more about Lloyd's of London on their website (www.lloyds.com).
Surplus Line Association of Washington
This association offers classes pertaining to all of these topics. If you'd like to attend, visit their website (www.surpluslines.org) or contact them:
Bob Hope, Executive Director
600 University Street, Suite 1710
Seattle, WA 98101-1192