What is service of legal process (SOP)?
It is the act of giving legal notice to a person or entity. Notice is furnished by delivering a set of court documents to the person or entity being served.
Who can be served through the Office of the Insurance Commissioner?
- Authorized foreign (out-of-state) and alien (out-of-country) insurance companies, agencies and producers
- Unauthorized foreign and alien insurance companies, agencies and producers
The Office of the Insurance Commissioner cannot accept service of legal process for a domestic entity. Domestic companies may be served through an agent authorized by their company.
What is the difference between foreign, alien and domestic?
- A foreign company is formed under the laws of the United States or the District of Columbia, but in a state or territory other than Washington state.
- An alien company is formed under the laws of a nation other than the United States.
- A domestic company is formed under the laws of Washington state.