There are various reasons why people have trouble getting auto insurance. In Washington state, all drivers must have insurance (www.dol.wa.gov).
We recommend you call a number of insurance agents to find one that might be able to offer you coverage.
Automobile Insurance Plan
- If your driving record keeps you from getting auto coverage and you can't locate an agent to offer you coverage, then you - or the agent on your behalf - can contact the Automobile Insurance Plan (www.aipso.com).
- This plan, created by the Washington state Legislature, must offer auto insurance coverage to hard-to-insure drivers who can't get coverage.
The state may require you to prove you have insurance
- The Washington state Department of Licensing (DOL) (www.dol.wa.gov) may require you to keep and show valid auto liability insurance for a certain period of time. This proof is called an SR 22 form.
- Your agent or insurance company may fill this form out for you and send it to DOL as proof that you have coverage.
- Not all companies will file SR 22s (www.dol.wa.gov) for you. You may need to shop around for a company that will.