Not all companies are the same, so it’s a good idea to do your homework and comparison shop.
If you have questions about a company, call us at 800-562-6900.
Plan ahead before you buy a new vehicle
- Check with your agent or the company on how much it'll cost to insure the car or truck you want to buy.
- More expensive and high-performance cars and trucks generally cost more to insure.
- Make sure you can afford the auto payments and the auto insurance.
Increase your deductible
The higher your deductible, the lower the premium you'll pay. A $500 or $1,000 deductible for comprehensive and collision coverage will decrease your premiums. But remember, you'll have to pay the deductible amount if your company repairs your vehicle, so make sure you can afford it.
Ask about special discounts:
- Young drivers who have good grades or who've finished a driver’s education course may qualify for a discount.
- Many companies offer a discount on your auto premium if you also insure your home through the same company.
- Drivers age 55 and over can take an approved driving course to get a discount (www.dol.wa.gov).
- Some companies offer accident-free discounts the longer you have your policy with them.
Consider what you need
If you don’t think you could afford to fix your car yourself if you were involved in an accident, you'll want to carry collision and comprehensive coverage. If your car's older and not worth very much, maybe you don't need the coverage.
If you have good medical coverage under another plan, you may not need personal injury protection. If you routinely carry passengers who may not have other medical coverage, you may want to buy it.