If you have existing auto insurance, first check with your agent or company to see if they offer special discounts and talk about how much coverage you need.
- Premiums for the same coverage vary from company to company.
- You can buy insurance online without using an agent. But make sure the company is licensed to do business in Washington state.
Find out insurance costs before you buy a car
- Premiums can vary dramatically based on the type of auto you own.
- Before you buy an auto, check with your agent or ask the company how much it'll cost to insure it.
Consider higher deductibles
- The amount of the deductible you select affects your auto premium.
- You may save money by raising your collision and comprehensive deductibles. Ask your agent to compare costs between plans with higher deductibles.
Do you need collision coverage?
- If you have a low-value car that's paid off and you can afford to fix or replace it yourself after an accident, collision coverage (damage to your car due to colliding with another car, fence, building, etc.) may not be worth it.
- Liability coverage, however, is required in Washington state.
Avoid duplicate coverage
- Your coverage may overlap in some areas, such as medical and collision.
- Ask your agent to explain your coverage and ask if you’re duplicating coverage.