Choosing an agent or broker for your insurance needs is your choice.
- Agents represent either specific companies or a number of companies.
- An agent sells you the policies of the company he or she represents.
- They receive commissions on their sales.
- Brokers represent and work for you.
- They aren’t appointed by companies.
- Brokers survey the market and bring back options for you to review.
- Many businesses use brokers because they can sample a broader range of available coverage, and put together the best package for specific business and coverage circumstances.
- Brokers receive commissions on their sales.
- They must disclose their fees to you.
How to select an insurance professional
Ask your friends, neighbors, co-workers and family about their experiences with their insurance agent or broker.
Check out potential licensed agents or brokers before you decide to buy – it’s your right. We can tell you:
- How many complaints consumers have filed against an agent or broker.
- Whether they’ve faced disciplinary action in the past.