Why volunteer for SHIBA?
You can make a difference in the life of a senior citizen or someone with a disability. Not only does volunteering offer vital help to people in need and the community, but the benefits can be even greater for the volunteer as it:
- Connects you to others.
- Helps reduce stress and combats depression.
- Keeps you mentally stimulated and provides a sense of purpose.
- Is good for your overall physical health, which prolongs your life.
- Helps get you out of the house and involved in your community.
- Brings fun and fulfillment to your life.
- Meet new friends.
How SHIBA volunteers help others
- Assess Medicare coverage needs
- Determine general eligibility for health care coverage programs.
- Evaluate and compare health plans and programs.
- Provide Medicare enrollment help.
- Speak with 1-800-MEDICARE on clients’ behalf.
- Make referrals to other agencies/programs.
- Collect and report possible fraud complaints.
- Make public presentations to local groups.
- Provide clerical support.
- Participate in outreach activities.
We offer volunteer positions for all interests
- Counsel others
- Provide clerical support
- Participate in outreach activities
- Give presentations to the public
- Work on special projects
You don’t have to know Medicare - we’ll teach you by providing you with training. You just need to have a passion for helping others and want to learn!
Get more information about the opportunities and expectations of volunteering with SHIBA (PDF, 106KB).
Hear other volunteer testimonials
State Health Insurance Assistance Programs (SHIP) volunteers (known as SHIBA here in Washington state) share their rewarding volunteer experiences with you: