For Consumers

How to get help with behavioral health

  Important! If you or someone you know is experiencing a mental health crisis, call, text or chat 988, the 988 Suicide and Crisis Lifeline ( for immediate help.

Below you’ll find a list of resources for people seeking help with mental health (MH) and substance use disorders (SUD).

For people actively in a mental health or substance use disorder crisis

988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline ( 
Call, text, or chat 988 to be connected to the Suicide & Crisis Lifeline. It’s confidential, free and available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline’s 10-digit number — 800-273-TALK (8255) — is still active, along with 988.

Contact the 988 Lifeline if you’re having:

  • Thoughts of suicide.
  • Mental health crises.
  • Substance-use concerns.
  • Any other kind of emotional distress.

Contact the 988 Lifeline if you’re worried a loved one may need support in a crisis.

Veterans Crisis Line (
Dial “988” and press option 1, or text 838255, to receive specialized counseling for veterans. If you’re in crisis and need to visit a hospital, visit any VA or non-VA hospital for free emergency health care.

Native and Strong Lifeline (
Dial “988” and press option 4 to receive specialized counseling for American Indian and Alaska Native people.

The Trevor Project (
LGBTQI+ youth can call 866-488-7386 or text 678-678 to receive counseling, 24 hours a day.

Washington Recovery Help Line (
If you or a family member have a problem with a substance use disorder, call the Washington Recovery Help Line: 866-789-1511. This 24-hour, anonymous, confidential help line provides crisis intervention and referral services for individuals in Washington state. 

For people not actively in a mental health or substance use disorder crisis 

Medicare (
Medicare covers certain screenings, services and programs that aid in the treatment and recovery of mental health and substance use disorders. Medicare Advantage plans must cover the same services as Original Medicare.

Health Care Authority (Apple Health) ( 
Provides funding and oversight of mental health services for people enrolled in Apple Health (Medicaid).

Indian Health Service (
Many tribes run their own MH and SUD programs. Search the IHS Healthcare Locator by checking the "Behavioral Health" under "Choose facility types" for mental health programs in your area.

Provides MH and SUD coverage for active duty, non-active duty, and retired military service members.

Veterans Administration (VA) (
Offers mental health services for post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), psychological effects of military sexual trauma (MST), depression, grief, anxiety, and other needs. You can use some services even if you’re not enrolled in VA health care.

Additional behavioral health resources

Involuntary Treatment Act ( (PDF, 223 KB)
The Involuntary Treatment Act (RCW 71.05, including Ricky’s Law) is designed to support people experiencing a mental health or substance use crisis. This means the person may be a harm to themselves or others due to an issue they’re facing. A crisis is a serious event that may require professional intervention and treatment to help the person and those around them. 

MentalHealth.Gov (
Offers coping tips and resources.

National Alliance on Mental Illness (
The nation's largest grassroots mental health organization dedicated to building better lives for the millions of Americans affected by mental illness.

National Institute of Mental Health (
The National Institute of Mental Health is the lead federal agency for research on mental disorders.

Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (
The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), within the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, leads public health efforts to advance the behavioral health of the nation.