Rental-car agents are licensed to offer, sell or solicit rental car insurance. See RCW 48.115.005 (leg.wa.gov).
To apply for a rental-car agent license, submit all the following forms and materials:
- Uniform application for business-entity insurance license - request form via email
- Uniform appointment form (one appointment is required) - request form via email
- Insurer certification for rental car agent - RCA1 (PDF, 98KB)
- Rental car agent authorized endorsees - RCA2 (PDF, 92KB)
- Rental car agent premium handling authority - RCA3 (PDF, 115KB) - use this form if you don't have a fiduciary relationship
- Copies of the brochure or other written materials available where car-rental insurance is sold
- Copies of training and education program materials
The commissioner may waive or accept alternate arrangements for this requirement. To be considered, send a written request to:
Licensing and Education
Office of the Insurance Commissioner
P.O. Box 40255
Olympia, WA 98504-0257, or
Send a message to Producer Licensing and Oversight
Special requirements for corporations, LLCs and firms
For corporations or LLCs
- Send a copy of your Articles of Incorporation or Formation.
- Send a Letter of Good Standing from The Secretary of State office.
File your trade name with the Business Licensing Service (www.dor.wa.gov). Call them at 800-451-7985.
Note: A firm includes a partnership or sole proprietorship.
Please make check payable to: Office of Insurance Commissioner. You may combine all fees on one check.
License fee for two years:
- With 49 or fewer employees: $130
- With 50 or more employees: $375
Appointment fee: $20/each
Location fee: $35/each additional location*
*Not required if there are no endorsees due to waiver or approved alternate arrangements.