For Consumers

Other coverage that's not part of your basic homeowner policy

In addition to your basic homeowner policy, you may want to think about the following coverage:

Difference in conditions

You can buy this coverage to protect your home against damage caused by excluded perils, such as earthquakes, floods, landslides and sinkholes.

Another residence on your property

This coverage protects you if you have a second residence on your property, such as a rental house or a mother-in-law apartment.

Secondary residence premises

This coverage provides protection for a secondary residence, such as a summer home. You might get the additional coverage at a reduced rate by buying a rider to your homeowner policy.

Home-based business

If you run a business out of your home, you might be uninsured and not realize it.

Sewer backup

This coverage protects you against losses due to sewer or sump-pump backup.

Umbrella liability policies

These policies extend your coverage above the limits of the liability coverage you already have through your homeowner and auto policies. They provide you with an extra layer of protection.


This endorsement covers small sailboats and outboard motorboats. It expands your personal-liability and medical-payments coverage. There are size limitations to watercraft and engine horsepower, so talk to your agent.