Self-service storage licenses are issued to any owner of a facility that offers, sells or solicits self-service storage insurance. See RCW 48.170.005 (leg.wa.gov).
We encourage you to read RCW 48.170 (leg.wa.gov), which are the laws that govern the self-service storage license.
To apply for a self-service storage license you will need to apply online (fortress.wa.gov) and submit the following forms and materials:
- Self-service storage producer premium handling authority (SSS1) form (PDF, 96KB) (completed by insurer)
- Insurer certification for self-service storage insurance producer (SSS2) form (PDF, 116KB)
A list of all locations where you will offer, sell or solicit self-service storage insurance.
A copy of your employee education and training program. Please note:
- Every self-service storage insurance producer is required to provide our office with their employee-training-and-education program.
- Each employee must complete the training.
- The training program must be submitted to and approved by our office prior to being offered.
- The program must meet the minimum standards established by RCW 48.170.070(4) (leg.wa.gov).
A list of all employees at each location who will offer, sell or solicit insurance. This list must identify who the manager or direct supervisor is at each location. All employees must be at least 18 years of age, be trustworthy and have committed no violations as listed in RCW 48.17.530 (leg.wa.gov).
Note: You must keep a current list of authorized employees and report any changes, deletions or additions to our office within 30 days.
Written disclosure materials regarding the program as outlined in RCW.48.170.060 (leg.wa.gov). It must summarize the material terms of insurance coverage and must be available to occupants where the insurance is sold.
Special requirements for corporations, LLCs and firms
For corporations and LLCs
Send a copy of your Articles of Incorporation or Formation.
File your trade name with the Business Licensing Service (www.dor.wa.gov). Call 360-664-1400.
Note: A firm includes a partnership or sole proprietorship.
- Fewer than 50 employees: $130
- 50 or more employees: $375
- One location: no additional fee
- Two or more locations: $35 for each additional location