Small claims court

Small claims court ( is an informal court where anyone age 18 or older can sue someone for up to $5,000 without a lawyer.

How to start a small claims case

Contact the district court in the county where the person or business you're suing is located, and ask the clerk for a Notice of Small Claim form.

How much will it cost?

You must pay the court clerk a filing fee at the time you file the suit. The filing fee varies, so contact your local court clerk for specific fee information.

What happens if you win in small claims court?

You are responsible for collecting the money.

Find more information about small claims court

Read An Introduction to Small Claims Court Guide (PDF, 23KB) ( from the Administrative Office of the Courts, or request a copy:

Phone: 360-753-3365

U.S. Mail:

P.O. Box 41170
Olympia, WA 98504-1170

See also

Need more help?