Personal Vehicle Sharing Program
A state law (leg.wa.gov) lets auto owners register their car or truck with a car sharing company for other licensed drivers to rent for personal purposes only.
How it works
- You’ll need to register your car or truck with a car sharing company.
- When you register, the liability for you and your private auto insurance company is transferred to the car sharing company - except when you are operating your car or truck. Then you're insured by your private auto insurance company.
- The car sharing company must have its own auto insurance to cover shared vehicles.
- In Washington state, to find out what car sharing companies are registered, call the Washington State Office of the Secretary of State at 360-725-0377. To find out what companies are licensed, call the Washington State Department of Revenue at 800-451-7985.
Questions to ask your insurer
- Will participating in the program affect my auto premiums?
- If my vehicle is in an accident while someone else is renting it, will I get canceled or non-renewed?
- If my vehicle's totaled while someone else is renting it and I have gap coverage, is my gap coverage still valid?
What car sharing companies need to do
To do business in Washington state, car sharing companies must be registered and licensed. To register, contact the Washington State Office of the Secretary of State at 360-725-0377. To apply for a license with the Washington State Department of Revenue's Business License Service division, call 800-451-7985.