Auto coverage for home health care workers, delivery workers and volunteers

Your personal auto policy will generally cover you for personal use, such as giving a friend or family member a ride or taking your neighbor to a medical appointment. It will also generally cover you during unpaid volunteer work.

However, if your job requires you to use your car, you may not be covered by your personal policy when you're driving on the job. For example, if your job requires you to transport people to medical appointments or to deliver newspapers or pizzas, you may need to buy commercial auto insurance. This is true even in instances where you only use your personal car for work infrequently or incidentally.

Make sure you have the right auto coverage

If you have questions about whether your personal policy will cover you for certain activities, it’s a good idea to:

  • Read your policy carefully to see what it does and doesn’t cover
  • Contact your agent or insurance company for advice

See also

Need more help?