For Consumers

What's not covered under homeowner insurance

Don't be surprised: There are several major risks that a standard homeowner policy does not cover. If you face these risks, you should strongly consider buying additional coverage.

Earthquake insurance

This coverage provides for repair or replacement of your home due to an earthquake.

Flood insurance

You'll need flood insurance to cover you against floods, flood-related erosion, abnormal tidal surges and mud flow.

Homeowner insurance and landslides

Homeowner policies usually don't cover damage due to land movement or landslides.

Homeowner insurance and mold

Some companies will allow you to buy additional coverage for mold.

Volcano coverage for your home and auto

Not all damage caused by a volcanic eruption is covered under your homeowner policy - you may need more coverage.

Other common things your basic policy doesn't cover