For Consumers

What to do if you're hit by an uninsured driver

The State of Washington requires all drivers to carry auto liability insurance and proof of auto insurance. In the unlikely event you're involved in an auto accident with an uninsured driver, here's what you need to know:

  • Call the police and document as much information as possible about the accident and the other vehicle and driver.
  • If your auto policy includes uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, you can file a claim with your own company. Your collision and personal injury protection coverage will also cover your loss for damage to your car and any reasonable and necessary medical bills.
  • If your auto policy doesn't include uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, you'll need to rely on other coverage you might've bought, such as collision coverage to pay for your damaged car or personal injury protection for any injuries related to the accident.
  • If you don't have any of these coverages, you'll need to pay for repairs, medical bills (unless you have health insurance), and maybe a rental car. You may then personally pursue the at-fault party directly to recover your costs.