OIC adopted rules on November 23, 2020 related to nondiscrimination in health insurance coverage. WAC 284-43-5980 addresses notice requirements.
WAC 284-43-5980(3) provides as follows:
- (3) To satisfy the requirements of this section, issuers may use the sample notices published at 81 Fed. Reg. 31472 through 31473 (May 18, 2016) that convey:
- (a) The information in subsection (1)(a) through (g) of this section; and
- (b) The information in subsection (1)(a) of this section.
- For use beginning January 1, 2022, the notice referenced in (a) of this subsection must be modified to identify the office of the insurance commissioner as the designated entity to file a complaint regarding compliance with RCW 48.43.0128 and WAC 284-43-5935 through 284-43-5980 and the federal Department of Health and Human Services, Office of Civil Rights as the designated entity to file a complaint regarding compliance related to the issuer's compliance with 42 U.S.C. Sec. 18119 (Sec. 1557 of the Affordable Care Act). Until that date, issuers may continue to use the sample notice published at 81 Fed. Reg. 31472 through 31473 (May 18, 2016).
Sample nondiscrimination notice
The OIC prepared a sample nondiscrimination notice template that allows carriers to comply with both state and federal nondiscrimination notice requirements.
- For more information about the nondiscrimination notice and its related rules, please visit the consolidated health care rulemaking (R 2020-13) webpage.