January 25, 2019
OLYMPIA, Wash. – Insurance Commissioner Mike Kreidler issued fines in December 2018 totaling $192,050 against insurance companies, agents and brokers who violated state insurance regulations.
Accordia Life and Annuity Co., Des Moines, Iowa; fined $130,000, order 18-0250
Kreidler received 57 complaints about the company in 2016 and 2017 and started an investigation into its practices. The law violations included:
- Failure to maintain full and adequate records of more than 8,600 customer accounts.
- Underpaid interest on the death benefit of a policy and failed to correct the problem until the consumer complained to Kreidler’s office. State law requires that insurance companies pay 8 percent interest.
- Failed to provide annual statements to 21 consumers.
State Farm Life Insurance Co., fined $10,000, order 18-0410
The company failed to pay the correct amount of interest on death benefits to 1,251 Washington consumers. State law requires that insurance companies pay 8 percent interest.
Kreidler fined the following companies for violating Washington state insurance regulations:
- GPM Health and Life Insurance Co., Spokane, Wash.; fined $2,000, order 18-0468
- Monterey Insurance Co., Monterey, Calif.; fined $30,000, order 18-0490
- American Automobile Insurance Co., Earth City, Mo..; fined $10,000, order 18-0494
- Unified Life Insurance Co., Dallas; fined $4,500, order 18-0529
Agents and brokers
Kreidler revoked the licenses of the following insurance producers:
- Romaine Smith, Prosser, Wash.; license revoked, order 18-0146
- Francisca Yadira Rios, Pasco, Wash.; license revoked, order 18-0507
- Jacqueline Cone, Washougal, Wash.; license revoked, order 18-0515
- Jodi S. Campbell, Lonoke, Ark.; license revoked, order 18-0475
- Gary M. Enciso, Long Beach, Calif.; license revoked, order 18-0476
- Rachel Glover, Collins, Iowa; license revoked, order 18-0477
- Drucilla Clorene Wilson, Las Vegas; license revoked, order 18-0479
- Paul B. Wells, Las Vegas, license revoked, order 18-0498
- Deandre Maze-Carter, Phoenix; license revoked, order 18-0499
- American Underwriting Services LLC, Kennesaw, Ga.; license revoked, order 18-0503
- Romeo Evan Fulton, North Riverside, Ill.; license suspended, order 18-0504
- James Luis Vasquez, Bothell, Wash.; revocation rescinded, license surrendered, order 18-0480
Kreidler fined the following insurance producers for violating state laws:
- David M. Connolly and David Connolly Insurance Agency, Silverdale, Wash.; fined $500, order 18-0355
- Ryan M. Focht, Pullman, Wash.; fined $500, order 18-0482
- Alina Frenkel, Bellevue, Wash.; fined $500, order 18-0483
- Robert L. Johnston, Spokane, Wash.; fined $500, order 18-0491
- Paul F. Dent and Griffin Mac Lean, Inc., Bellevue, Wash.; fined $1,000, order 18-0488
- John C. Haskell, Jr., Mill Creek, Wash.; fined $250, order 18-0397
- Xandrea Powell, Suwanee, Ga.; fined $250, order 18-0395
- Terran Watters-Fletcher, Lawrencville, Ga.; fined $250, order 18-0401
- Benchmark Administrators LLC, Wayzata, Minn.; fined $250, order 18-0429
- Lawrence M. Koresko, Collegeville, Penn.; fined $250, order 18-0436
- George Lewis Kengle, Springfield, Ore.; fined $250, order 18-0478
- Thomas A. Dus, Elyria, Ohio; fiend $500, order 18-0506
Continuing education providers
Risk & Insurance Managers Society of Washington, Seattle; fined $800, order 18-0513
About the Office
Kreidler’s office oversees Washington’s insurance industry to ensure that companies, agents and brokers follow state laws. Since 2001, Kreidler has assessed more than $26 million in fines, which are deposited in the state's general fund to pay for state services.
The Office of the Insurance Commissioner publishes disciplinary orders against companies, agents and brokers.
For an insurance question or complaint, contact Kreidler’s consumer advocates online or by phone at 800-562-6900.