For Consumers

Homeowner insurance and mold

"You folks moved a mountain for me - instantly! The insurance claim was paid to me the moment you became involved. Thank you so much!"
~ E.K.
man holding glasses

Most standard homeowner policies don't cover damage caused by mold, fungi, rust or rot. Insurers generally consider mold a home maintenance issue.

If you have mold growing in your home, check your policy or ask your agent about possible coverage. Some insurers provide a limited amount of mold coverage.

If you don't have mold coverage, you may be able to buy mold coverage by adding an endorsement.

Find out about preventing mold

The following agencies offer information on what causes mold, its health effects, and how to prevent mold:

Washington State Department of Health (
P.O. Box 47825
Olympia, WA 98504-7825

Call 360-236-3385 or 877-485-7316

U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Region 10 (
1200 Sixth Ave., Suite 900
Seattle, WA  98101

Call 206-553-1200 or 800-424-4372