If you have a criminal offense

If you have a misdemeanor, felony or other criminal offense on your record

Qualifying for a license will be determined on a case-by-case basis. If you have concerns regarding your record and obtaining a license, please send the following to us via our secure e-form:

  1. A written statement explaining the circumstances of the incident(s),
  2. A copy of the charging document(s), and
  3. A copy of the official document which demonstrates the resolution of the charge(s) or any final judgment.

We'll review these materials and let you know (before you begin your application process) whether or not we'll issue you a license. This review process generally takes 30 days and we'll email our evaluation to you.

Felony convictions involving dishonesty or breach of trust

It is a criminal offense for an individual who has been convicted of a felony involving dishonesty or breach of trust to willfully engage or participate (in any capacity) in the business of insurance without first obtaining a “Letter of Written Consent to Engage in the Business of Insurance” from the regulating insurance department of the individual’s state of residence.

See Federal law 18 U.S.C. § 1033 (www.gpo.gov).

Washington state residents should send their applications for the Letter of Written Consent to the Office of the Insurance Commissioner.

Individuals applying for a non-resident license in Washington state, whose criminal history necessitates a Letter of Written Consent, should provide a copy of the letter issued by their resident state insurance department along with their license application.

Licensed business entities and insurers:

  • It is a criminal offense to employ anyone (in any capacity) who requires – but does not provide – a Letter of Written Consent.
  • You must make a diligent effort to identify those employees or prospective employees who require a Letter of Written Consent.

For additional information, or to obtain an application for the Letter of Written Consent, please call or email us at the contact information below.

You don't have to report:

  • Misdemeanor traffic citations,
  • Misdemeanor convictions involving driving under the influence (DUI) or driving while intoxicated (DWI),
  • Driving without a license,
  • Reckless driving, or
  • Driving with a suspended or revoked license.

See also

Need more help?