For Consumers

Coronavirus and businesses

Information for Washington state businesses about coronavirus and its impact on commercial insurance and business operations.

What you need to be covered for losses resulting from coronavirus

To be covered against any business losses due to a pandemic such as coronavirus you would need to have already purchased either an insurance policy that would cover you or an endorsement to your policy.

At this time, you might not be able to buy this policy coverage. After the pandemic is over and the market's stabilized, contact your insurance agent or insurance company to see if they offer it.

If you need assistance reading your policy, contact an insurance professional. If you do not have a copy of your policy, ask your agent or insurance company to send you the full policy, including all applicable endorsements and declarations.  

NOTE: The Office of the Insurance Commissioner does not have the authority to require insurers to sell any type of coverage or policy endorsements to consumers.

Small Business Administration and disaster assistance

The U.S. Small Business Administration ( is offering low-interest federal disaster loans for working capital to small businesses suffering substantial economic injury due to coronavirus.

Small businesses that qualify are encouraged to apply online for a disaster loan ( If you don't have a online access, call the Small Business Administration at 800-659-2955.

Washington state government resources for businesses