Public records request process

Within five business days after receiving your request, the Public Records Office will do one or more of the following:

Provide the requested documents

It is our priority to provide agency records in a timely and efficient manner. When requested documents are available online, a link or location will be provided.

It is our standard business practice to provide documents electronically by a file transfer site, email or CD at no charge.

Please specify if hard copies are required. There is no charge for the first 100 pages. Per RCW 42.56.120 there will be a $.15 per page charge thereafter, plus shipping. An invoice will be sent and payment will be required prior to receiving documents.

A request will be considered abandoned and closed if payment is not made within 30 days from the invoice date.

Give you a reasonable estimate of when records will be available

The estimated response time will be based on the current volume of requests being processed and the amount of documents involved.

In some circumstances, it may be necessary to release the documents in installments. If this is the case, we will notify you.

Our office may need to contact you if the request is unclear or does not sufficiently identify a specific record.

Our office will provide its fullest assistance in determining what documents are available. Sometimes we may need to revise the estimate of when records will be available.

Make the records available for inspection or copying

Arrangements must be made in advance with the Public Records Office to inspect documents.

The assembled records must be claimed or reviewed within 30 days of the notification that they are available. If not, the request will be closed.

Documents may not be removed from the viewing area, disassembled or altered in any way.

Deny the request 

The request will be denied if the Washington State Office of the Insurance Commissioner does not collect or maintain the requested information.

The Public Records Office will make every effort to refer you to a resource that may be able to assist you.

If you object to a denial or partial denial of a request, you may petition in writing (including email) to the public records manager, for a review of that decision. The petition should include a copy of the OIC denial, or reasonably identify the written statement by the public records office (WAC 284-03-040).

See also

Need more help?