Letters of clearance are issued to resident licensees when they plan on moving away from Washington state and need documentation summarizing their Washington license history for their new home state.
Request a letter of clearance
Requesting a letter of clearance will cancel your Washington resident license.
Send a fax to 360-586-2019 or email us a written request that includes:
- Licensee name.
- WAOIC number.
- How you would like your letter delivered (via postal mail, fax or email).
- Valid postal address, fax number or email address.
- Specific request that we cancel the license and the date you would like the cancellation to be effective. You cannot request a future cancellation date more than 30 days from your request.
If your license is in the renewal period
If it is 90 days prior to your license-expiry date or 60 days following your license-expiry date your license is in the renewal period and we may require you to renew the license before we'll process your request for a letter of clearance.
- If you will want a non-resident Washington license once you've moved to your new home state, you will need to renew your Washington resident license before we'll issue a letter of clearance.
- If you will not be wanting a non-resident Washington license once you've moved to your new home state you will be required to submit correspondence stating so, but will not need to renew your Washington resident license before we issue a letter of clearance.
How long will it take?
Requests are usually processed within three business days.