The American Health Care Act (www.congress.gov) passed the House on May 4. It included an amendment that gives states a waiver to both remove the essential health benefits and to let insurers charge sicker people more, if states create a high-risk pool.
The U.S. Senate responded with the Better Care Reconciliation Act (www.senate.gov) on June 22 and a revised version (www.senate.gov) on July 13.
There are other actions underway that would undermine the Affordable Care Act (ACA):
- Actions we're monitoring are listed on the ACA watch list (PDF, 526B)
- Detailed chart (PDF, 284KB) showing parts of the ACA codified in Washington state law vs. federal law
See a state-specific analysis (PDF, 1MB) of the devastating impact the American Health Care Act would have on Washington consumers and their families.
Kreidler's guiding principles for any ACA replacement
Any proposed change to the ACA must be measured against the progress we've made and cannot move us backward, including:
- No fewer people covered
- No reduction in benefits
- No cost-shifting to states
- No destabilization of the health insurance market
Letters to Congress
Commissioner Kreidler has shared his concerns with the Trump administration and Washington's congressional delegation.
- Joint letter from Gov. Inslee and Commissioner Kreidler to Washington Congressional delegation about BCRA (PDF, 8MB)
- Letters from National Association of Insurance Commissioners to U.S. House (PDF, 720MB) and U.S. Senate (PDF, 720MB) urging them to continue funding for subsidy payments.
- Letter from Commissioner Kreidler, AWHP to HHS Sec. Tom Price (PDF, 3MB)
- Letter from Commissioner Kreidler to Washington Rep. Dan Newhouse, March 23 (PDF, 2MB)
- Joint letter from Gov. Inslee and Commissioner Kreidler to Washington Congressional delegation about AHCA's impact (PDF, 2 MB)
- Joint letter from Gov. Inslee and Commissioner Kreidler to U.S. House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy on ACA (PDF, 119KB)
- Commissioner Kreidler letter to U.S. House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy on the ACA (PDF, 340KB)
- Joint ACA letter from Commissioner Kreidler and the Association of Washington Healthcare Plans (AWHP) to Washington's Congressional delegation (PDF, 60KB)
- Commissioner Kreidler letter to U.S. Senator Lamar Alexander on the ACA (PDF, 73KB)
County and statewide data
- 2014-2016 Individual market enrollment outside of the state's exchange (PDF, 149KB)
- County, and legislative and congressional district data on enrollment, subsidies and more (PDF, 2MB) (www.ofm.wa.gov).
- Additional details on who has gained coverage (www.1in4wa.com) through our state's exchange, Washington Healthplanfinder (www.wahealthplanfinder.org).