Be cautious when shopping for insurance online
If you decide to shop for insurance online, do your research. First, find out which insurance coverage best fits your needs. Then shop around for companies, agents and cost.
Verify the company and agent are licensed
Before you buy:
- Make sure the company and agent are licensed in Washington state to sell the type of insurance you're interested in buying.
- Compare the company's complaint record against others.
When you're ready to buy online
Take extra precautions to protect your personal information:
- Update your Web browser. Newer browsers are equipped with more current security measures. You can check by looking at the Web address:
- Secure site addresses may start with https:// instead of the usual http://
- Some sites have a small key or closed-lock icon located somewhere in the bottom left or right corner of the screen.
- If you can't confirm the security of the Web browser, contact the insurance company or agent and submit your paperwork by fax or U.S. mail.
- If you pay with a credit card, take extra precautions. Some credit cards may have anti-theft protections in place. Check your credit-card agreement for anti-theft information.