Choosing an insurance agent or broker
Choosing an agent or broker for your insurance needs is your choice. But before you choose, make sure they're licensed to sell insurance in Washington state.
- Agents represent either specific companies or a number of companies.
- An agent sells you the policies of the company he or she represents.
- They receive commissions on their sales.
- Brokers represent and work for you.
- They aren’t appointed by companies.
- Brokers survey the market and bring back options for you to review.
- Many businesses use brokers because they can sample a broader range of available coverage, and put together the best package for specific business and coverage circumstances.
- Brokers receive commissions on their sales.
- They must disclose their fees to you.
How to select an insurance professional
Ask your friends, neighbors, co-workers and family about their experiences with their insurance agent or broker.
Check out potential agents or brokers before you decide to buy – it’s your right. We can tell you:
- How many complaints consumers have filed against an agent or broker.
- Whether they’ve faced disciplinary action in the past.