What to consider before buying pet insurance
Before you buy a pet policy, make sure you ask questions about cost and coverage, so you don't get stuck with a policy that doesn't meet your needs.
Questions about coverage
- Can I keep my current vet?
- Is there a waiting period involved before coverage takes effect?
- Are routine wellness exams covered?
- Does the plan cover chronic or recurring conditions?
- Is neutering or spaying covered?
- If my pet has a pre-existing or hereditary condition, does the plan cover it?
- Is prescription drug coverage included?
- Does the plan cover advertising costs and rewards if my pet is lost or stolen?
- Does this plan make payouts if my pet is being treated and dies?
Questions to ask about costs
- Are there discounts for insuring multiple pets?
- How quickly do you pay claims?
- Are claims covered annually or by incident?
- If the coverage is by incident, is there a time limit?
- Is there a dollar limit for vet office fees?