What is homeowner insurance?

Home insurance property protection protects your home and personal belongings from fire, theft, vandalism and other perils.


  • Typically covers repairing or replacing your damaged or destroyed home, including attachments, such as garages or decks.

Other structures: 

  • This is coverage to repair or replace other permanent, separate, unattached structures on your property, like a detached garage, workshop, or attached fence.
  • If you have multiple structures, rent out any of them, or use them for a home business, talk to your agent about getting additional coverage.

Personal property:

  • This includes coverage for your furnishings and personal items, such as your TV, stereo, clothing, dishes, etc. The policy covers your property for the used value (or actual cash value).
  • If you want to be reimbursed the full value of your property, you'll need to buy replacement-cost coverage.
  • Your policy may include limited coverage for items such as jewelry, collectibles, art, silver, etc. If you have these types of items, talk to your agent about buying additional coverage or increasing your limits.
  • Your policy should also include a specific list of covered risks or perils such as fire, lightening, windstorm, smoke, theft, etc.

Loss of use or additional living expenses:

  • This pays for living expenses over and above your normal living expenses if your house is damaged or destroyed, and you need another place to stay.

Additional coverages:

  • Your policy generally includes additional limited coverage for debris removal, damage to trees, plants and shrubs. It also could include credit-card coverage, which protects you if someone steals your credit card and makes unauthorized charges. Check with your agent or insurance company to see if additional coverages are available.

Updated 03/27/2014

See also

Need more help?