About the Pre-existing Condition Insurance Plan - Washington State

The Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan for Washington state (PCIP-WA) ended June 30, 2013. The program was a temporary health insurance option for certain individuals with pre-existing conditions who had been uninsured for at least six months.

PCIP-WA transitioned to federal PCIP on July 1, 2013

Enrollees had the choice to transition to the federally-run PCIP and pay their July premium to the federally-run PCIP. If they didn’t pay, they lost their PCIP coverage and are responsible for any health care services after June 30.

For a copy of the federally-run PCIP plan and/or for more information:

  • Web: www.pciplan.com
  • Phone: 866-717-5826 (federally-run PCIP call center)

Federal PCIP extends coverage for an extra month

The federally-run Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan (PCIP) is extending coverage to people already enrolled in the plan (but haven't yet secured other health insurance) through the end of January 2014. The federally-run plan will notify you by mail of this coverage extension along with details about the additional premium payment.

How to get health insurance in 2014

Starting Jan. 1, 2014, the full benefits of federal health reform will take effect and insurance companies can no longer limit or deny people coverage due to a pre-existing condition.

Here are some different options for getting health coverage in 2014:

  • Washington Healthplanfinder (www.wahealthplanfinder.org/) - Individuals and small businesses can buy insurance directly through the Washington Healthplanfinder, which will offer a choice of health plans that meet certain benefits and cost standards. Depending on how much you earn, you may qualify for a free or low-cost health plan or for financial help that can lower the cost of insurance premiums and copays.
  • Individual health insurance – You can buy a plan through an insurance company, agent or broker, however, financial help is not available outside the Washington Healthplanfinder.
  • Employer – If you, your spouse or domestic partner work, check with your employer to see if they offer health care coverage.

Updated 11/07/2014

See also

Need more help?