Personal Vehicle Sharing Program
A state law (app.leg.wa.gov) lets auto owners register their car or truck with a car sharing company for other licensed drivers to rent for personal purposes only.
How it works
- You’ll need to register your car or truck with a car sharing company.
- When you register, the liability for you and your private auto insurance company is transferred to the car sharing company - except when you are operating your car or truck. Then you're insured by your private auto insurance company.
- The car sharing company must have its own auto insurance to cover shared vehicles.
Questions to ask your insurer
- Will participating in the program affect my auto rates?
- If my vehicle is in an accident while someone else is renting it, will I get canceled or non-renewed?
- If my vehicle's totaled while someone else is renting it and I have gap coverage, is my gap coverage still valid?
How to sign up
Contact a car sharing company that has auto insurance coverage. However, at this time we are not aware of any companies that have formed a vehicle sharing program in our state.