Your claim responsibilities and rights
- Cooperate with the investigation.
- Be ready to prove the loss - show your receipts.
- If you don't have receipts, show photos of the damaged or missing items.
- Submit the information your company requests in a timely manner.
- Keep complete copies for your reference.
You're entitled to:
- A clear explanation of what's covered.
- An itemized statement outlining how the company will pay your claim.
- A prompt response from the company.
- Timely payments and a claim decision.
- An appraisal if you disagree with the amount of your loss.
- You can work with the adjuster your insurance company sends or hire a public adjuster (www.napia.com) (who works on your behalf to appraise and negotiate your property-insurance claim).
NOTE: Before you hire a public adjuster (www.napia.com), discuss with them and understand their proposed fees. Most public adjusters charge a percentage of the settlement.