Designated responsible licensed person (DRLP)

This person is assigned by a business entity (BE) as the licensed individual producer responsible for making sure the BE license complies with the laws and rules of Washington state. See RCW 48.17.090 and RCW 48.17.173 (

  • When an existing BE does not name a DRLP, it will be unable to renew the BE license.
  • If, at any point, the DRLP license becomes inactive, the BE is required to name another DRLP within 30 days or the BE license will be canceled.
  • A BE may update their DRLP online on their renewal application. If you need to update the DRLP outside of the BE license renewal period, please contact us.

If a BE wants to transact travel insurance business, keep in mind that it must:

  1. Have a producer license with the travel line of authority, and
  2. The DRLP for the agency must have a producer license with the travel line of authority.

Updated 08/01/2014

See also

Need more help?