Get pre-licensing education (PLE ) course/instructor approval
To apply for course approval:
PLE course-application form (Word, 26KB). A few reminders about courses:
- Five types of courses: life, disability (health), property, casualty and personal lines,
- Lecture courses must be presented in Washington state, and
- Self-study courses may be by correspondence or online.
Students must study at least 20 hours per course and complete the curriculum. The curriculum is described in the Pearson Vue (www.asisvcs.com) Washington Insurance Licensing Candidate Handbook (PDF, 915KB). See each exam's content outline.
Each course should cover the single-line exam content outlines. We will not approve a course based on any of the combination-exam content outlines.
Copies of course materials should include: A) A detailed topic outline (cross-referencing the examination content outline printing in the Licensing Handbook) and, B) A copy of the entire textbook.
Instructor applicants must be:
- Experienced: Three years as a producer or three years of teaching/supervising insurance courses,
- Trustworthy: As defined in WAC 284-17-537(1)(b) (www.app.leg.wa.gov), and
- Competent: Must hold a producer license with the same lines of authority he or she proposes to teach or have the appropriate academic or professional credentials equivalent to an insurance license.
Instructors must be approved before they can offer a lecture course. If you would like to have a new PLE instructor approved you will need to submit an instructor application (Word, 14KB).
Send application packets to:
- Fax to 360-586-2019,
- Email us, or
- Mail to P.O. Box 40257, Olympia, WA 98504-0257.