You're moving to Washington state
When you have a resident license from another state and are moving to Washington state
Pre-license education (PLE) and exam requirements must be completed by anyone who wants a resident license, unless you had or have a resident license in another state before you move to Washington state.
The PLE and exams can be waived if you complete the following within 90 days of your move:
- Cancel your previous home state license,
- Obtain a letter of clearance from your previous home state department of insurance,
- Apply for your resident Washington state license online (including paying new license fees),
- Send us your letter of clearance (in lieu of exam score reports), and
- Send us a fingerprint card. We highly recommend that you submit an e-fingerprint.
If we receive an application and letter of clearance, but it has been more than 90 days since your previous resident license was canceled, you will not qualify for the PLE and exam waiver. You'll have to complete our PLE and pass our exam(s) before you apply for your resident license.
When you have a resident license from another state and a Washington state non-resident license, and are moving to Washington
Follow the steps listed above, but call us before you apply online. We will need to modify your license record internally before our online system will allow you to list a new resident state on your online application.