Managing general agents (MGA) and third-party administrators (TPA) - individual non-resident

Washington state doesn’t offer an actual MGA license. To be designated as an MGA you must:

  1. Hold a producer license, and
  2. Have an insurer use our online services to appoint you as an MGA and pay the $200 fee.

Third-Party Administrators

The OIC does not issue a TPA license, but the Washington State Business Licensing Service ( requires that you register.

Depending on how you adjust claims, you may need to obtain an adjuster license. Find out more about adjuster license definitions and requirements (

Updated 03/31/2014

See also

Need more help?